- EOS bases its receivables management on fair payment arrangements and respectful communication.
- Digital tools and individually selectable communication channels help consumers close their cases.
- Group-wide policy secures ethical and professional standards.
Policy for Group-wide standards
In 2023 the company introduced a Group-wide policy for all EOS subsidiaries to define standards for fair and ethical debt collection that also accommodate the needs of vulnerable consumers. The key principles are as follows:
- We treat consumers with sensitivity, tact, and a sense of responsibility.
- We communicate equitably and remain professional even if the conversation gets difficult. If the communication becomes emotional, we suggest pausing the conversation and continuing it at a later time.
- We approach every defaulting consumer without bias or prejudice.
- We use simple language, avoid complicated jargon, and provide clear recommendations for action that are easy to follow.
- Our overall goal is to make defaulting consumers feel they can speak openly and confidentially with us.
Digital tools make payment easier
By giving defaulting consumers as many means of communication as possible, we enable them to find solutions to their own debt situations.
Available at all times through all channels
The needs of the consumers are varied. That’s why we want to be available on as many channels as possible on which customers want to communicate with us.
If a consumer would prefer to talk to a real person, EOS makes sure that he or she is connected to a call center employee who is both professional and empathetic. This does not just entail remaining professional even when a conversation becomes emotional, as stated in the policy; it also means using clear and simple language. Our colleagues in Poland developed seminars for training staff to avoid using jargon and foreign words.
Whether these measures are effective can best be judged by consumers themselves. That’s why EOS sought feedback in the spring. In a survey of around 1000 consumers in Germany, about half (47 percent) of the respondents were “very satisfied” with EOS, just as many (47 percent) rated the company as “especially friendly,” 49 percent rated it as “innovative,” and 51 percent as “solution-oriented.”